Volunteer Opportunities in Nutrition Services
Volunteers are needed to help prepare and provide nutrition, culinary and food safety programs. Help with special projects and administrative support is also highly valued, and is arranged on an individual basis.
This innovative program uses cooking classes to teach nutrition to low-income families. The goal is to provide a long-term solution to hunger and poor nutrition by teaching how to get the best nutrition possible on a limited budget.
Cooking Matters volunteers must attend an Orientation and complete Training prior to serving in a volunteer role.
• Culinary Instructors teach adults, children and teens how to cook healthy, affordable meals. Volunteers can be professional chefs, culinary students, or experienced commercial or institutional cooks.
• Nutrition Instructors teach adults, children and teens how to make healthy meal choices. Volunteers should either possess or be working toward a degree in Dietetics or Nutrition, or have 3 years of work-related experience.
• Course Managers ensure course materials are prepared for each class and provides support to volunteer team members and participants throughout the duration of the course. Any member of the community with managing or coordination skills and adequate transportation may serve in this role.
• Course Assistants help facilitate classes by assisting with onsite or offsite class preparation and implementation. Any member of the community with adequate transportation may serve in this role.
• Tour Leaders teach adults to shop healthy on a limited budget. This role is only available in Cooking Matters at the Store grocery store tours. Any member of the community with a passion for healthy living and experience with shopping on a budget may serve in this role.
• Photographers capture the "Cooking Matters story" of participants and volunteers in photographs, including images that demonstrate class members having fun, learning, eating, socializing and cooking. Any professional or aspiring photographer with experience operating a digital camera may serve in this role.
Upcoming Cooking Matters
Learn more about the Food Bank and how you can make a difference through the Cooking Matters program!
Cooking Matters Volunteer Orientations usually occur the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 6 pm, unless otherwise indicated. Please RSVP to attend a monthly Cooking Matters Volunteer Orientation.
January 14, 2014
If you are interested in volunteering for Cooking Matters or for other activities in Nutrition Services, please email our Volunteer Coordinator.