Cooking Matters®, a program of Share Our Strength, is a cooking-based nutrition program. This innovative program provides a long-term solution to hunger and poor nutrition by demonstrating strategies to get the best nutrition possible on a limited budget.
The six-week, hands-on courses are taught by nutrition and culinary instructors who volunteer to teach nutrition, cooking, food-budgeting and shopping techniques. Additionally, groceries are provided to all participants to take home at the end of class each week so that they can practice preparing the recipes at home and share them with their families.
Interpreters Needed for 2015-16 Classes
Tarrant Area Food Bank is looking for volunteer Spanish interpreters for upcoming Cooking Matters classes. This is a great opportunity to help ensure that Cooking Matters participants who speak other languages are able to understand and put what they learn into practice. A background check will be required.
Please contact Volunteer Services for more information on becoming a Cooking Matters translator.
»Email Volunteer Services staff
- Fluency in Spanish and English
- Degrees in a foreign language, extensive study abroad, or other relevant qualifications may be considered based on degree of experience, skill, and comfort level in translation
- Interest and comfort in working with low-income individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Comfort speaking in from of groups (average class is 15 participants)
- Ability to travel to class location
- Verification of current food safety certification or successful completion of ServSafe Starters
- Willingness to be trained on Cooking Matters curricula, to work as a team with volunteer chef and nutritionist, and to adhere to program policies and team decisions.
Tarrant Area Food Bank offers Cooking Matters
courses in collaboration with Partner Agencies and other community organizations that agree to host and promote courses to their clientele. A limited number of courses are also held in the TAFB Community Kitchen.
To host a course, or for more information on courses held at TAFB, email Cooking Matters.
For information on Cooking Matters volunteer opportunities, please visit our volunteer page.